nuffnang advertisement

Friday, November 5, 2010

A Stylist For a Cancer Patient....

What is Cancer?

According to Wikipedia, Cancer is a class of disease in which a cell or a group of cells display uncontrolled growth , invasion (intrusion on and destruction of adjacent tissues), and sometimes metastasis (spread to other locations in the body via lymph or blood). These three malignant properties of cancers differentiate them from benign tumors, which are self-limited, and do not invade or metastasize. Most cancers form a tumor but some, like leukemia, do not. The branch of medicine concerned with the study, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of cancer is oncology.


In short, if cancer is not treated earlier; its deadly.


As a hairdresser how does it affect me as a person? The stories begin......


I met Irene 3 years ago if I am not mistaken. How do I met her? Well, she came to me for a haircut since backed from UK for good. Since then, I am her hairdresser.

Being her hairdresser; it gave me lots of great feeling, confident, and a kind of special bonding with her. She is kind, cheerful, honest, and to me she is really a beautiful lady. She always came in with her daughter Karen; when visiting me for a hair cut. And I always do my best to give her and Karen great unique looks.


Often in conversation; we shared idea about life and stuff. She told me a lot about her younger age days and how she was always the odd one...and how a daring person she was...From her face, I sensed how gorgeous and pretty she must be when she was a young girl. Obviously too as she has a great pretty daughter. I always looked forward for her and her family to visit my salon. In short; I love her.


Lately; she came in with a news that she had a tumor on her left breast. I was very worry about it and prayed that it is not something bad. Result told us that it was a cancer tumor and I was really worried. I hoped it is not a serious one.




Go Bald at The Spring Mall - 2010


I was shaving a guy hair who supported GO BALD fund raising campaign.


For few years now, I was involved in charity cut and one of them is GO BALD; a fund raising (http://gobald.my/) to help Childrens' Cancer Society. From there; I learnt a lot about cancer and I remembered that it is curable if detected early. Based on the information I had, I felt relieved as I knew that Irene's cancer was at preliminary stage. Thank God..but she still had to go through phases of recovery. She also shared she had to undergo 3 sessions of chemotherapy treatment to kill the remaining bad cells after the tumor is taken off.


I saw her after the first treatment and she was telling me that she may get her hair fall soon due to the chemo; so she wanted me to cut her hair really short..so I gave her the James Bonds girls haircut; short and elegant.

After a week later; she came in quite late and told me she needed all of her hair shaved as her hair were really falling out. I was sad and hold my tears to it..I tried to look strong and laughed and joked with her. But my heart melt every second I shaved her hair...She felt happy and I carved some designs on the head to make it looked cool..

She was so brave and strong...I meant; I have shaved almost more than 600 heads along with my team during the GO BALD fund raising function for SCCS, but this was the first time I am shaving a good friend client ...and I was not strong enough compared to her...I was feeling sad...I should not be, I should be grateful that she was strong and took it all positively; which was the best way of healing.

I am dedicating this blog to her and also other cancer patients...I wanted to tell her that I admired her positivity, her braveness, her courage and attitude. I wish her long life and hope that she can recover as soon as possible; so her hair could grow back fast and that I can keep seeing her every 5 weeks for a haircut with me...


I believed she will live long and grow old; as old as she wanted; and still can walk into my salon for a haircut...Irene dear; you are the bravest woman I have known... Keep fighting..I know you can..!



Look how gorgeous she is with the new look..so cool...

For you out there who are diagnosed with cancer; please stay strong and never give up...Your family love you and will be with you at all time to fight this disease.
Trust me; it is curable as I have seen real life examples. Fight it earlier before it's too late.....



Jac






No comments:

Post a Comment